facilitated by Ria and Andrea
notes by Genevieve
- Free and paid plans
- CDN = Content delivery network. Reroutes websites to different servers around the world - deliver your website from local proximity server
Speed of delivery
- Speed of delivery factors in Google optimization algorithms
- jQuery - loading just specific files on the CDN
- Complicated! Google fonts?
- Security - better to load your own fonts from your own server, but it varies from site to site.
- Cruft = Something extraneous - code that is left around, perhaps for a prior use, but no longer relevant
- Browser will load anything being brought on the page - rolling layers of dynamic loading
- XT - really easy on WordPress plugin
- Recommended to LazyLoad Facebook and Twitter feeds
- Google Translate - slows by seconds, decreases optimization
- Resetting sizes of images impacts load time -> lazy
- Stripping out metadata
- Services for lossless compression
- Takes out backend information that is not necessary to view image -> increases load efficiency
- PDFs are tricky because they are heavy
- Perhaps use a third party service or a java script library
- PDFs are proprietary!
- Optimize your PDF file for web view
- Can use third party plug-ins
Other Optimization Tips
- Build systems that auto-scale images, or other optimizers
- Responsive image
- Look for WordPress 4.4!
- SourceSet - standardization of image optimization
- Using transparent PNG -> Ratios of images, placeholder space -> Background frames, containers
- Lazy load the videos
- API set up to get the thumbnail
- jQuery load thumbnail, then load bigger file if/when user activates
- WordPress Supercache
- Dynamic sites -> Supercaching goes straight to cache instead of connecting = database calls
- Use plug-ins to manage/delete caching
- WP-CLI = more advanced command line
- P3 - Plug-in performance profiler
- Interprets WordPress plugins' performances
- Back-ups redundancy!
- By GoDaddy :-(
- Electric Embers co-op
- Highly recommended
- Reliable, small, do not have a control - minimal but dev-friendly.
- Becoming WordPress hosting providers (always up on WordPress progress)
- Flywheel (Based in Nebraska)
- WordPress Engine - recommended
- Whole other level of SEO consideration
- Levels of traffic can be critical with active usage
- Must have CDN, supercaching, etc.