Why Code Sprints? And How?
- How are people using hackathons
- How to bring in people (non-coders)
What is the win?
Maybe not the code produced. Everyone agrees sprints are good, but it is hard to put finger on specific results.
- sand drawings / mandelas made by Tibetan monks get destroyed after use
- pizza oven sprint, masons get together and* build an oven.
- design of pizza ovens
- practice of building.
What is sustainability?
* does the code get supported * does the code get reviewed / commited.
What is a hackathon ?
Getting people together for a short amount of time 3 to 24 hours who care about something to work on goals
example: DrupelCon codepsrint after every 'Con, issues are identified people go to room to classes of
Drupal Media Module code sprint was committers only for 5 days.
Commonality, is bringing together people ordinarily not physically together.
Examples: code sprints
- Access to core contributors.
- getting people in same room to improve
- easy entry for new people
- limited commitmen
- get a lot of work done in short amount of time (debtable: )
- Energy --requires building on ongoing
- build community
- somebody reading your code 10 minutes later
- face to face contact
- civic hackathons by boston city to design apps build apps for selves
- pub crawl app won.
- need to have people in room who aren't developers or designers but users
- focus is hard to come by
- walking in with a goal is needed but rare
- need incentives to focus
- money in contest incentive
- sustainability is huge
- be clear on goals: sort ideas ? sort solutions ?
- proof of concept good.
- goals important
- What are you going to do with half finished thing.
- don't think about getting a product.
- tough to get city staff involved on saturday
future code sprint ideas
- define problems
Important things for good sprints
- organize , have things for people to do
- easier with established projects with issue queues
- get in designers not coders
- designers won't sit behind screen for 18 hours
- think about setup to attract diversity of people
Contests vs adding to code base hackathons where developers more built around publicity than results.
Here's an event we're great
Getting users & coders together winds up as design sprint 24 sprint for web site development
Took code in sub optional
- when city has contest doesn't create product because it doesn't fit RFP
app contests that offer $1000 for a year's work.
Still inclined to do a sprint but manage expectations, focus on RFP