What is New With Drupal.org?
Facilitated by Neil Drumm, Drupal Developer
<a href="http://drupal.org/tour-redesigned-drupal-org">Drupal.org</a> was <a href="http://drupal.org/tour-redesigned-drupal-org">recently redesigned</a>. Learn about how the site is built, what’s next, and how you can help.
* All told, the process has been going on for almost 3 years. * After a while of things not moving fast enough, the Drupal Association decided to pay for some of the work to be done. There was some concern paying for this work could de-motivated volunteers would be de-motivated. The actual effect was the opposite; people were happy that the project was better organised.
* There has been a lot of positive feedback on the new dashboard feature (which allows users to customize the content/layout) which is based on the homebox module. * Some positive feedback about the new map on front page which displays activities (posts, comments, patches) in map form. * It is impossible to get concensus around a lot of the elements... e.g. the new slogan
* Some very limited work was done on SEO.
* A lot of work was done to have constantly updated dev and staging sites (using Hudson... considering Aegir in the future). * SolR Multisite and project modules (for example) got a lot of work via this process.
* "I think we'll start using features in the future" * Want to start using more HTML5 * More revenue generation strategies will be implemented (e.g. using advertisements on some pages)
* Q - What is the process for future changes? * A - You can request a sanitized copy of the Drupal.org site (minus the theme for branding considerations). Don´t try using the install profile. * A - If you want to submit a potential change, you are likely to have to submit patches to the drupalorg module... unless they are related to other specific modules.
* Custom module: mailing list page, custom menu items + templates * Stats showing 14% IE users... but this didn't stop them from using the geo-location functionality for the map on the front page.
* Link to Neil's delocalizedham.com/new-drupal.org/badcamp2010