Technology for Disabilities
Arun will lead a discussion about how to deal with disabilities in technology and discuss his project SKID (http://skid.org.in/).
Disabilities and Accessibility with Arun
Interests of People
- Alternate interfaces. Musical.
- Web Development
- Stephen Hawking came to India. The software that he uses, the hardware is not being made. X company decided to create software for Stephen Hawking (open source).
- Why would Stephen Hawking need software from India?
- They did go to Microsoft and M$ werent interested.
- Stepen can only press one button.
- Cna hold down buton
- Go to his website:
- What do you think about your disabilitit?
- His computer is just like anyone elses.
- Book: Beautiful Code (chapter about Stephen Hawking)
- very simple modules (ruby on rails)
- very simple task
- Very easy to write modules
- script to set up skeleton of modules
- combine modules
- Typing and Email modules combined
- Had kids write modules in one summer
- high school kids, college kids
- Ruby on Rails was used because of its modular natures
- easy for novices to program like experts
- Can navigate with just an x-y joystick
- 4 button design
- FireWater (ruby) module controls firefox
- speech enable (can speak for)
- Find matching sentences with regular expression to easily find things to say
- Can change via text files
- Parent can put in words and pictures based on what is being learned
- Cheap solid state laptop
- select 3 modules in order to pick pictures and crop
- Works really well with autistic
- Site Administration
- There are modules for parents/teachers/admins to clean up data and manage site
- Bulletin Board
- Mailing list
- Arun works at schools
- Kinds of disabilities
- Many degrees (like blindness)
- Disabled from Birth
- Size of person will dictate technoogy for disabled
- In many area in the world, education is not available to the disabled
- Speaking is really hard to learn
- Communication problems mean that it is difficult to communicate the disbality to technology
- Absences of an abiltiy
- It's a dynamic thing. Like not knowing about computers
Challenges in Designing
- Like connecting pipes as a plumber
- how to have authentication? (accounts for email)
- maybe image based
Questions (What can we do?)
- If you see any things that are sensory exciting?
- Send to Arun
- Do you know kids that could use this software?
- takes patience on both sides
- in India, it is foreign to buy a computer for a disabled
- Anyone with experience with installing software on SD card?
- Ruby on Rails training?
- Students who are seeking meaningful small projects (create some modules)?
- Easy for resume.
- Conversion of Joystick client to JS?
- ATM: Festival needs to be installed. Driver only on Linux.
- USB joystick
- Wireless cards can determine resistance, so waving a hand in front of card can snese action.
- Sense Blue/Red blocks
- cameras are in all (cheap) laptops
Ruby on Rails
- good for this application
- makes writing good code really easy
- Framkwork, not language or CMS (but allows making a CMS easy)
- creating opportunities for kids to program modules along side disabled kids
- second life
- each feature adds complexity
- waycom tables, pressure sensitivity
- bulb aand liquid tube to have different levels to determine state
- create credit opportuninties for college students to volunteer at elementary
Future of Skid
- two-button design