Summit agenda brainstorming for digital security practitioners
Security and privacy sessions for the rest of the week
- Accidental trainers
- Curriculum for journalists
- Different levels of need and ability to execute
- Increasing the capacity and number of digital security trainers
- Developing internal organizational policies and practices
- Tensions btwn security/privacy and efficient flows of information
- How to reach hard-to-reach populations (e.g. homeless people)
- Mydata.org seeks to empower individuals around their data
- Organizational need for data about participants balanced with risks of that data
- The emotional side: how do we help people grapple with the impact of this while also being real with them about what is at stake?
- Cambridge Analytica/future of privacy and security--Lydia; Thurs or Friday (bc prep is needed)
- Activist surveillance and safety, aka awesome countersurveillance setup, aka Dave's dystopian hellscape--Marty and Dave
- Resource roundup and maintaining and managing resources (there was a session on this last year so notes should be consulted); note that EFF is releasing a guide at sec.eff.org. (Amanda and Martin)
- Personal privacy, teaching it, supporting it (Marty) <--OPTIONAL
- Being responsible with the data you collect (respecting privacy and security of your participants)
- Organizational security models and practices (Jack and Lisa)
- FOLLOWING ON THE ONE DIRECTLY ABOVE: Making more trainers--accidental security experts, what do they need and how to get it to them, building a community of practice (Jack and Amanda)
- Self-sovereign identity--identity validation and security (refugees, healthcare, people w/o documents)--Lydia and a co-lead with experience in the topic
- There is a resource roundup on the web as a git repo that takes pull requests. (Get from Amanda.)
- Breaking down the phases of organizational security--what is the long term arc and what are the roles that need to be filled?
- Paralysis generated by fear.
- What is the digital security moment now? Where the momentum going (funding, organizational energy, etc)?
- One resource is the Responsible Data Forum