Successful Consulting Engagement
Is the client ready to tackle the project?
- Readiness checklist
- Clients who don't understand tech
- Organizational development needed before work can being
Many organizations don't think of what they do as “business process”
A good approach is to phase the project into steps
Need to assess cultural fit (often happiness during pre-engagement discussion)
How do you know whether you are talking to the right person?
- What do you do when that person changes?
- Consultants need to know how to dance when the unexpected happens
Need to have client appoint or hire a power user
People need to know how they may be affected by a system change
What is a good business plan for consulting revenue?
- As a consultant?
- Useful products or a service or a group of services
- website audit as a package
- understand & buy into process & consultant before the it begins
- price attached
Have a few low-level committed clients as a baseline
- then, make money with valuable projects.
- But, keep in mind your capacity
Need to respond to funder at end & include recommendations and observations
Hourly vs Value driven pricing models
Understand dynamic of an engagement
- low point
Where to prospect for clients?
- think about relationship building
- Teach (for free, usually)
- Write (blogs, guest blogs, case studies)
- LinkedIn & Website as validation
- Pro-Bono work to build referral network, build quality and gather stories