Open Data in UK and beyond
In Uruguay, government is now required to respond to any requests for data, so quesabes.org serves as platform to connect communities around issues and establish more gov't transparency
- based off of UK's whatdotheyknow.org
- similar projects going on in Brazil and Chile
- in some countries (e.g. Argentina) people submit requests for data to their government but they aren't required to respond
Other examples of collecting data...
- multilingual data is very useful for translation projects
- maps in the US are all derived from cencus data
- finding a good data license (different process than finding a good software license) --> Open Knowledge Foundation
- concern about releasing data to a university --> Make sure its discoverable for others
- how to determine what data means, which data/correlations matter... you have to have an opinion!