How to get colleagues to function at all during lockdown
DOES ANYONE EVER FOLLOW THRU IN A DECLINING EMPIRE?
Or How to get colleagues/clients/employees to respond/comply/function at all during lockdown/disrupted economy/personal crises Marty
What are we dealing with/Problems:
- Even pre-pandemic working with clients who have other really good priorities was challenging. But that's been more noticeable.
- How do we shift from a penalty (we'll charge you more) approach to incentives
Do normal incentives & penalties work in such a heavily disrupted environment??
- How do we meet people where they are as clients?
- Generally keeping remote work going?
- Distribution channel impacts in other arenas
What's working lately?/Solutions
- Being real about capacity and asking for info on one anothers capacity (realizing that not everyone will be comfortable fully disclosing based on personality/cultural/work relationship)
- Be compassionate but still have a limit
- Making agreements with deadlines or non participation penalties
- Self care
- Enforcing/suggesting breaks/vacations for employees/colleagues
shorter work week
family friendly policies
extra time off
- Pushing back project deadlines/more frequent check-ins
- Stay honest human & invite others to be human & authentic (vs corporate fronting that everything is fine when it isn't)
- Have backup tasks/clients at the ready if someone bales
- Making social space with colleagues/clients
naming the weird
- Project mgmt back channel massaging
- Doing some pre-conversations and check-ins before milestone meetings
- Virtual handholding to make sure the employee/client is proficient/comfortable with the tech tool
- Leveling everyone up if you are using a shared platform for communication/ PM tool.
using graphic platforms like gather (so you can split off in a side room for a private convo)
using structure & facilitation to keep virtual spaces human/functional/warm
- Problem solving the distribution issue/tech fail etc
- Referring a particular person/everyone to mental health/unplugging resources