Disaster tech support for NGOs
- Community-wide disaster (Earthquake, subsequent tsunami)- but not total devastation
- 5-10% of nonprofit org buildings collapse.
- Assume government resources are focused on gov't facilities
- Assume for-profit IT services are serving for profit businesses
- Computer/technology/platform are down at 300-600 non profit orgs
How can nonprofit sector (people) self-organize in an ad hoc way?
- Looking at day AFTER crisis through several weeks of recovery
- Not focused on preparation, focused on recovery.
- Mobilizing those inclined and qualified to help.
Needs for Success
- Means for gathering/listing orgs that need assistance (text based?/low bandwidth)
- Means for finding/alerting/vetting(?) volunteer corps to assist nonprofits that are down
- Triage process that works for volunteer lay-people, non-technical to
evaluate urgency cases.
- OUTBOUND: who needs help
- OUTBOUND: who can help
- incoming requests for aid (provide location and best guess of need)
- incoming offers to help (provide location and skills to offer)
- go through triage matching process (below)
Triage Questions: Prioritization of Need
(Automate triage questions if possible, Twillio, etc, have option to talk to people)
- Where are is the down technology/computer network?
- Will lives be threatened if technology is not restored?
- Power out? Internet out?
- Damaged equipment? Type, how many, etc.
- Building damaged/flooded/no access? Do you need to relocate?
- Do you have other resources that can help you?
- Are you the person normally in charge of this?
o Is there an IT person? o Are they okay, can help? o Can you get in touch with them to assess your needs?
!!! IDEAS !!!
- Build on existing ...
- Coopt / adapt an existing platform that is up (assume electricity up, in general)
- Use a facebook page - rework 'I’m Safe feature' - Make a google map with pins showing need - Post needs on CraigsList in special category - Other?: How would/could twitter, snap, instragram fit in.
- Tech industry could set up platform something in advance (e.g., Zendesk, Salesforce)
- Tech industry could set up employee 'community service' program in advance to allow employees to go out in their neighborhoods and help closest school, church, clinic
* There are issues of liability, HIPAA data, etc. * NEED A ticket systems for assigning people are needed in order to avoid duplication of efforts, appropriately escalate, indicate resolution.