Community Commitments and Suggestions

From DevSummit
Jump to: navigation, search

I will...

  • I'll read all the notes on the wiki Rebecca
  • I'll host a design pop-up event where folks can help us design apps/ app ideas for social good Susan Tenby
  • I will get Upwell to start migrating off google apps Ray
  • I will evaluate projects throughout the process (and beyond!) Suzi
  • I will continue a dialog with public open network about participating Laura
  • I will build a sample extension for CiviCRM - just to learn how. Josh Senyak
  • I will look up 25 technical terms I never heard before. Josh Senyak
  • I will send email to 4 or 5 new friends Josh Senyak
  • I will follow up with new friends from Sudo Room about creating a hacker space in Brooklyn & how to start connected across coasts Austin
  • I will follow up with Heather on localization in African languages Sree
  • I will work with Pratap to enable migrant worker help line in Kuwait. Sree
  • Use pootle Marina
  • Get all the NYC folk here to attend a kicking loft party in 2013 Thiago
  • I'll look into setting up a socially responsible certificate authority Rabble
  • I will install Enigmail/PGP on Thunderbird email client. Thanks Cooper! Kathryn B.
  • I will implement suggestions to nptech.io John E.
  • Mirabot will do a talk/ session next year; something related to co-ops & best practices Chino
  • I will work on a crowdfunding/ crowdcontribution platform for floss liberation technologies Nick
  • I will look closely at ways to teach threat modeling Tomas
  • I will share info on local tech events Neil
  • I will contribute to Oakland localwiki Ernie
  • I will seriously upgrade my drupal skills (& organizing, fundraising, & project management) anonymous
  • I will try to organize a 1 day cooperative event piggy backing on next year's summit Mark Libkuman
  • I will explore the various tools I have learned about and implement them into my work. Kristin S.
  • I will attend an Open Oakland meeting Eric Zan
  • I will map things to tell stories.Daniel
  • I will build a prototype GPS shortcode device for low-capacity mapping and relief projects Jordan
  • I will check in with Misty on participating at the Los Angeles CATechFest event Arthur
  • Inspired by EFF, I'll work privacy/crypto into my teaching curriculum
  • Helping expand and participate more in the US tech cooperative network! Chino
  • I will help create a listserv about corporate tracking databases Pratap
  • I will learn about PFS and DNSSes Adam B
  • I will get owncloud installed and tested And
  • I will install PGP tools on my email & text machines Damien
  • I will track down @moxie or guardian and volunteer some UX/UI time on crypto projects Jonathan eyler-werve
  • I will write at least one blog post about online listening for activists & campaigns Matt Fitzgerald
  • I will digest my notes into a to do list Ari
  • I will process all the amazing business cards & contacts & meet tons of *awesome* & new connections Ari
  • I will read notes on the wiki from sessions I couldn't attend Poonam
  • I will share the WP plugins that Suzi shared with folks in my loop Poonam
  • I will bring into conversations disability access on the web at our coop Poonam
  • I will contribute to open street maps Josh
  • I will work on the wiki and will come to next year's dev summit for the entirety Jenny
  • I will offer consulting & troubleshooting for anyone interested in implementing an SMS service Jordan
  • I will talk to Neil & Matt about crazy awesome projects. Rachel W.
  • I will assemble a privacy toolkit for journalists and help them adopt it Amanda
  • I will write something reporting on projects at the summit and I will DEFINITELY contact some people that I met. Molly
  • I will reach out and work with nonprofits & radical groups on behalf of Sudo room & Sudo mesh Jenny
  • I will read the notes from all other relevant sessions! Jack
  • I will contribute to Suda room cryptoparty Jonah
  • I will reach out to Matt about his Mental Health App Jamila
  • I'm going to learn more about (oakland's) mesh Paul
  • I will collect more feedback for derfood.org to embrace the idea to avoid redundant work through open-source Kouradin Breyer
  • I will do & share ethical consulting Jonah
  • Collaborate with new friends on NYC real estate power mapping Austin
  • Share resources from techworker.coop with friends who want to start a tech coop Austin
  • Look at the wiki and glean all the great info from sessions I wasn't at Grant
  • Reshaping my content strategy & metrics model for publication based on feedback I got here. Kate
  • I will finish and publish my Unix command line book. Seth
  • I will work on having my coop have documented points of unity Jamila
  • I will techworker.coop about adding wiki Dana S
  • Meet in person with new Rad Tech friends who also live in BK Austin
  • I will get a local wiki established for stroud, UK Dirk
  • I will try the Go tutorial Cooper
  • I will meet with Amanda & DKG to discuss enigmail UX Cooper
  • Create a local wiki for crown heights Austin
  • I'm going to install AGP on my tablet Hilary N
  • I am going to contact Jenny about supporting Sudo Mesh Hilary N
  • I will continue learning/playing with command line
  • I will listen & watch how people use technology (instead of forcing tech on users)
  • I will try coding in Python (using what Seth taught us) Matt Fitzgerald
  • I will definitely go to more protests of the DAC
  • I will create a CiviCRM extension
  • I will call Celine Tabatsune next week Martin Uramer
  • I will try to export Aspiration's conference/unconference organizing techniques to other conferences/ events
  • I will do a webinar Heather Bailey
  • I will make budget decisions mission decisions
  • I will have a better work/life balance
  • I will encrypt my messages
  • We will read the AWESOME notes, seriously
  • I will follow up with Amanda & Copper and start fising enigmail's UI/UX DKG
  • I will use nptech.io (and promote it)
  • I will talk with Amanda about access to NYC government data Thomas
  • I will implement better security policies (email, pass codes)
  • Install omeka and call on people for help with it Manu
  • I will donate to EFF
  • I will look at new mapping tools
  • I will research more things I learned about here
  • I will contact every cool person I had a convo with! Dirk
  • Encourage dev summiters & other potentially beneficiary parties to go to Tech Fest Grant
  • Collaborate with crypto-anthropologists
  • Talk to people at Ubiquiti & mikrotik
  • I will join a meetup or email list to keep in touch with folks from this space or spaces like it (once I figure out how) Ajay

We should...

  • I would attend small, focused learning sessions @ Aspiration including webinars
  • I would participate in a cryptoparty
  • I would... participate or organize or lead online community continuations of: project management, content strategizing, etc.
  • Attend a follow-up reunion fun social event in Oakland/Bay Area
  • I would participate in a local Aspiration style meetup in Brooklyn of Dev Summit folks
  • I would attend a meeting to help build the Mesh
  • I would like to attend organizer focused meeting in April LA
  • I would go to a protest at #npdev every year!
  • I would go to an Aspiration mini summit meetup in oakland if it existed
  • I would contribute to an Oakland wordpress/civiCRM conversation
  • I would join a webinar-peer-feedback-for-more-awesome group
  • Next year, invite attendees to pre-event cryptoparty @ sudoroom
  • I would help organize U.S. CCCamp-style event
  • Participate in a listserv/ asynchronize convo about feminism & technology
  • I would turn my router into a mesh endpoint because SCREW AT&T
  • participate in a conference focused on grassroots collaborative production & solidarity economy topics
  • Would like to be back in 2014 & help out anyway I can between now & then
  • Love to know more about people's orgs experiences with what works & what doesn't - case studies or very informal ones
  • I would happily help anyone here figure out how to navigate IETF (or other standards group) process DKG
  • I would offer a crash space in Amsterdam if anyone needs it (comes with Bike) Niels
  • I would love to talk, learn, share, create more around org. networks & collaborations including tools, analysis, visualizations
  • I will follow the mesh networking idea & the actions virtually & explore how I can pilot it in Bangalore, India
  • I would attend follow-up events on how to contribute with programming skills to a good cause
  • I would talk more about radical life design
  • I would join another tech volunteer matching platform if someone convinves me that mine is not worth pursuing
  • I would come to a tech coop centered day or full conference
  • I would participate in a regular work group or socially - responsible protocol & standard development
  • I would attend a discussion of the role of trust and threats
  • I would participate in more events like this
  • I would go to a meetup of local (bay area) dev summit type people if there was one
  • Connect with other open source projects to learn how they have done it
  • Attend affine experiences in North East US
  • I would teach programming skills if I had students and a forum or venue!
  • I would like to be involved in a tech support-providers group of some kind
  • I would host monthly NPDev meetups! Suzi
  • I would help organize a NYC NPTech Scott
  • I would join a worker co-op/collective if I could find the right opportunity
  • I would participate in an informal developer hackathon if someone were to organize it!
  • I would join any group talking about project management & process (Scott)
  • I would participate in skill-share workshops
  • I want to bring more discussion of localization to the science communication community (i.e. get Heather to come to ScienceOnline)
  • I'd join a tweetchat on Social Media to pics
  • I would teach our team more socila media skills if I had more time
  • I would participate in a place where conversations based on sessions continue
  • I would attend NPDev get-togethers in the Bay Area. Rebecca
  • I would collaborate on a guide to best practices for buildng CMS sites (Drupal!) for Small orgs/ Small budgets
  • I would come to Bay Area meetups throughout the year with Dev Summit people
  • I would participate in an email listhost Rebecca
  • I would love to know what kind of help folks need implementing/ adopting privacy tools
  • I would participate in devsummit conference calls John E
  • I would like to get together more often with folks, especially in the east bay
  • I would go to post summit/conference happy-hour
  • I would set up a mesh & simple local conference software tools at future conference! Jenny
  • I would contribute case studies to Social Source Commons if there was a push/request for it
  • Use & disseminate own cloud tools when they are fully integrated Austin
  • I would participate in an online discussion forum between dev summits to continue conversations!
  • I would participate in a tech capacity building network
  • I would like to love drupal
  • I would teach the use of security tools to anyone who contacts me with questions Cooper
  • I would be part of a group/community to provide open source tools for organized conversations
  • I would contribute to corporate watch programs
  • participate in a discussion about backups DKG
  • I want EFF to continuously update their privacy/security toolkit & us to pubwoise
  • I would love to connect more with like-minded souls
  • I would go to monthly meeting of Dev Summit alums/friends/allies
  • I would be interested in a conversation about building tech capacity in low income, low tech communities Poonam
  • I would participate in a coallition dedicated to improving the usuability of security tools

Don't forget...

  • Less plastic & paper waste - can we special fundraise for metalware & plates? or at least go bamboo? scott
  • More people from wikimedia, mozilla...?
  • Reach out to the internet archive and the network of bay area hackspaces - http://ba.chgrp.org
  • more of the same lovely networking
  • Tofutti with the bagels!
  • Afterparty after last day as well
  • PTP
  • More non-tech folks to represent user needs
  • Remind me not to go to dreamforce (or don't schedule at same time)
  • I must've gone through 20 coffee cups - lets reduce waste! Remind people to bring their own mugs.
  • Better internet connectivity during the event!
  • Invite ACLU, FreePress, to come join us!
  • Conference should be at the end of the week instead of the beginning
  • I would like to see child care for those who need it
  • It would be great to have more community organizers
  • More discussion on design/ user experience
  • I think there needs to be more robot demostrations
  • A people of color only conversation about views/ media and community
  • I found out about the summit on the first day (Monday), and the website said registration was closed, so I thought I couldn't come
  • Have more recycling options/ bins
  • Aspiration should invite CMJ and AMP folks
  • should work preferred gender pronouns into the main intro
  • should try for wed-fri schedule
  • should keep on rocking!
  • fem/women only space to talk and skill share
  • create a day after hackthon or self-selcted gathering space
  • continue to highlight accessibility and ability ranges in tech for social change
  • we should invite Dwayne Bailey too
  • I would like a bigger pitcher for water
  • Bring some young people - have some at dev bootcamp
  • It would be great to have more folks from outside oakland and brooklyn
  • more free culture, open educational resources people
  • more non-urban, non bay area, non NYC, non coastal elite
  • advertise the event more at UC Berkeley
  • Making use of preferred gender pronouns a habit - more so than this time - at future aspiration events
  • Could you invite people from larger NGOs, like amnesty international? because they have not solved all the problems & often need help
  • too many presenters are white men, why?
  • I want more low-income immigrant (undoc or documented) to be part of the conversation around how technology can help with their organizing
  • more vegan & gluten-free food (maybe raw food?) other than salad
  • tell us ideas for funding movement tech we haven't heard of
  • more space for discussing tech projects that aren't attached to org's with a formal 501c(3) structure i.e. that interface directly with community
  • Eliminate single-use plastic compost! oakland composts already suits, easy just like) Recycling containers mia! Encourage BYO dish/utensil/mug, discourage waste
  • where was willow "bloo"?
  • more veggie protein! (esp. of the non-dairy, non-nut variety)
  • invite techy journalists, since they're also nonprofit
  • next dev summit: session content scaping and good ways to use it
  • Arduino!
  • Wed - Fri!
  • note-takers are often women. It'd be great for the organizers to discourage this dynamic
  • more mental-health space in tracks where its not competing with other presentations
  • diversity: black girls code - hood among others
  • Harold Stearn used to do extremely sexist and obnoxious ads for snapple - could we try another juice?
  • flad sessions as 'tools to share' vs 'discussion/ stories' vs. 'report outs' (a la EFF) sometimes I went to discussions I thought were tool sharing
  • OTI
  • more international participation
  • yoga/meditation/breathing spaces
  • I would like to do a talk about tech/parenting
  • I would like more fizzy water
  • less paper & plastic
  • you guys should have more app developers & hackers for change. Also, would be nice to see more nonprofits here
  • need better tongs at lunch
  • I don't want speed geeking/ hack sessions are more useful
  • There could be a lot less plastic & a lot more recycling/ composting. no plastic water bottles please!
  • there were no cookies on day 2!
  • you are awesome! I'm taking away MANY lifesaving tips, tools, people
  • I'd love to see more poeple of color in this space!
  • more teas
  • more protein for breakfast
  • I would prefer the summit to be time shifted one hour later in the day
  • live note system - real time collaborative editor - check with glocal.coop
  • probably more comforatble with potato-sporks
  • clearer connection between priorities identified on sticky exercise & sessions, collaborative session planning, etc
  • composting!
  • "regular food" is vegearian and people who eat animals should request special accomodation
  • mid-afternoon snacks
  • Think about linking to wiki with agenda (just times) in advance (start/end)
  • Invite more riseup geeks - John E
  • more community organizatoins in the room & space for their voices
  • limit to # of computers/ devices that could be on the wifi
  • explicitly supported childcare
  • If possible, have the session time reduced to 45 min, & have less no. of sessions to choose from at any given time
  • vegan breakfast (dry bagels are a bummer)
  • think about posting the actual address of the hall in preservation park