Anticipating the death of corporate social media
Corporate Social Media is Dying, what should non-profits do?
Short answer: revise or create their comms strategy.
Where are your people at with the impact of social media? On their work/lives?
- There are different generations of social media, and their state of thriving and impact on work/life are different
- To broadcast their lifestyle to friend & strategies
- To archive their thoughts and photos
- Live (e.g. webinar, etc. selling stuffs)
- Most people aren’t “posters”
- To lurk on others
- Artist communities share their work & engagement
- Journalists have a tough time leaving social media, even if they want to, because its where this promote their work
- I miss events because I’m not on social media
- LinkedIN - trying to find a job would be vv difficult - even in applications
- Means of bringing in traffic
- Impact - they feel stressed out - because others around them seen to have better lives than they do
- Impact - double-edge axe. Enemy will know what
- What does healthy social medial look like?
- I killed twitter acct, I killed Reddit. Use FB for Family, I use IMGUR news + meme
- People seem tired of new platforms
- Impact - they feel drained by all the doom scrolling
- They feel addicted to doomscrolling
- People have gotten used to harassment
- Impact - they feel burnt out
- Staying up to date on the news
- People - ie journalists - are concerned about how ownerships of companies affects the safety of their comms
- Concerned: If twitter crashes, holes in their articles (oembed)
- How can we compensate for the reach possible with twitter. Future of amplification
- Disconnect between the theory of change
- Staying up to date on what organisations ace up to?
- Our users don’t seem to want everything to be social
- Slactivism (hit like button)
- What are they using?
- How politically are groups thinking?
- Spectrum of movement groups
- Don’t use (for whatever, lack of capacity to understand it’s danger)
- Don’t want to use but feel like we have to?
- Very committed to using
- Light touch points for contact
- Awareness - raising campaigns
- Seeing inspiration from community
- Smaller communities = less risic
- Staying connected to friends who live abroad
- Threshold for following & connections (grocery rule close ties)
QAF’s for guiding people through our social media reality
- How to avoid lockin to a network?
- What kind of interactions do we intend to encourage & discourage
- Could this be a group chat?
- What don’t you want to share?
- Who is your potential current audience
- Who can read your DMs?
- Where else do your communities live, socialise, engage?
- Who are you reaching that you don’t want to be reaching?
- Who is doing this work?
- How do you move your followers and content?
- What are the advantages of small & local vs huge & global?
- Are you measuring your impact of social media
- What are your concerns about social media use in the context of the current
- Are you measuring your social media impact? How?
- What’s the ROI for using the platform for my campaign/ Intake / business
- How is this platform affecting my well being?
- How would your mental well being improve by not being on these platforms?
- Does your tool serve your audience?
- What are the hidden costs?
- What are harmful policies for people at risk?
- How dependent am I on these platforms?
- What do these platforms know about you that your most closest friends don’t?
- Why not communicate this announcement via email?
- What are questions that people should ask themselves more often?
- Would having your own website meet your needs/be a good alternative?
- Could I survive without social media
- Who owns/controls the platforms?
- Do I have the contact details of my friends?
- Privacy. Is it safe?
- What personal details are required in order to use the platform
- Is this the best way/only way? Using social media? Is there another way?
- What is social media doing for you?
- What are you trying to accomplish? How can social media support that?
- Is my reach effective?
- What are the motivations of the provider?
- Is my use of the platform empowering the opponents of our mission?
- What type of governance works for you?
- How doe the form determine what is communicated. What types of interactions are possible?