The role of art
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Revision as of 01:32, 23 November 2016 by Jucsanch (Created page with "'''Questions:''' * How do we do art and engage with art for self and community nourishment? * How can and does support our activism and our communities? '''Discussion''' * De...")
- How do we do art and engage with art for self and community nourishment?
- How can and does support our activism and our communities?
- Desire for art as a tool for engagement and solidarity;
- Vehicles for art engagement: open spaces (post it notes on wall), stencils,
- poetry infusion –unamplified, public open mics – utilizing public space for actions
- Very important forus to bake-in art time into our day, not just do it when our to do list is done
- Art is inspiration and needed; inspire people to be more brave and speak out more
- Exercise options:Free association of words- – one person says a word, the other person says another word and it could continue. This could be in a pair or more people.
- Bay Area FlashMob: Gust – flash mob. Get up street theater. Art as both propaganda and organizing.
- This is an example of art by community, not art by action.
- Participatory theater – Theater of the oppressed. Form of the theater that community folks create the pieces and engagement.
- Documentary improv theater. Documenting reality and using art to amplify those realities.
- Artists are always the visionaries and organizations could do better at focusing on engaging those who are aligned.
- What about going back to analog – using flyers and offline vehicles.
- Things can be political without being intentionally political; telling a story is political.
- “I feel like we're getting a lot of messages that technology is more important than humans”
- We have to embrace the fact there is a tomorrow and there is light now and will be.
- We need to do more together and create more together, especially when there is hopelessness.
- In Costa Rica we did many stencils and murals with youth and had images to challenge stereotypes – like girls as scientists.