Why are you here?
- mobile security high priority because access by marginalized community
- international organization
- check biases in thinking about
- concerned about chilling effects of surveillance
- sudden demand for training
- how to layer awareness on top of sudden demand for tools
- share insights from digital defense, make widely useful
- integrate security into digital literacy
- find right tools for different communities with different levels of comfort with technology
- increased attacks on Middle Eastern and South Asian – track incidents and co-ordinate response
- surveillance going to affect some more than other – those directly affected make the best trainers
- how to co-ordinate response to sudden demand
Who are we centering?
Different communities are already affected very differently by current surveillance and lack of privacy, but post US election the impact on different communities will likely be even more differentiated.
Lots of vulnerable communities that are under attack e.g. trans women of color are going to be under even greater attack. Not specific tech needs but generally extreme duress. Organizers are using Facebook but are likely to be targeted. FB is where people are. Brainwashing songs, kids and old people affected by propaganda – develop tools to block propaganda from our own lives – people who are especially vulnerable to messaging e.g. youth and elders – how can they block the messages. Reproductive justice organizations – fears of what is going on with actual current security needs. Govt can defund and make work illegal but also growing threat of alt right with tech knowledge. Balancing trade-offs between what is needed now and (responding to) changing landscape. In African American communities (Harlem) and immigrant communities, conspiracy theories by law enforcement (to justify) targeting people. Registers of people.
Don’t forget that this has been a surveillance state and some people have felt for a while, Muslims Sikhs [irony] because who knows the difference? [/irony], Anyone resisting mass deportations e.g. by sheltering people. Long term banality of evil – traveling in and out of country is going to get that much harder. Undoc people who have been involved hard tactics. Early warning for mass deportations but people organizing it have to communicate. Lots of groups talking about extremely unrepresented in tech and even more so security space. Techies – lets not center ourselves.