Reimagining technology through a feminist lens
(process: individual definition of single most important value, followed by 2-person deep dives)
- Diversity: needs to be uncomfortable
- Liberation: the system needs to burn down
- Agency: dismantling the power struggle
- Privacy: the importance to protest
- Equity: in contrast to equality, the understanding that shit is fucked up - subverting systemic oppression by providing different ranges of support to different groups
- Solidarity: finding strength through shared support and desire to protect others
- Basic survival needs met for everyone: it is where we are failing right now, and until we fix that, we cannot do much
- Trust: future challenges will be so complex, we won’t go anywhere without relationships and trust
- Care: the most important generous act, caring for ourselves and for others
Choose a value from above and reflect: what community projects are already centering around this value? what projects are championing this value?
(process: groups of 3-4)
Trust, Basic needs, Agency
- tech will never build trust
- we want to move to an abundance of real choices!!
- skeptical of tech and automation
- in the future we need to focus on personal relationships to build care
- we need deeper understanding of the value of care == LESS WORK FOR MORE CARE
- GDPR etc == are reactive, define strategies to act once corporations already have the data
- how about data stores with one-use-only uses of data
Equity, Liberation, Diversity
- ERGs: Employee Resource Groups - very present in US
- How can they bring more diversity to a company?
- Danger of whitewashing through ERGs
- They act as Support System!
- in 20 years: ERGs would create leadership
- tension in groups between iterative changes versus burning it all down