Introduction to WordPress
Wordpress Basics Alex Hanson --- Comparison w/ Drupal
- Wp---> Really Small Projects! (5-50 page content + blog)
- Permissions -->Better in Drupal. Multi-user sites, esp.
- Custom content structures: Better in Drupal; Only 2 types in Wordpress (Pages and Posts) Now=Custom fields! but hard to integrate!
Radical Designs is platform agnostic (built own CMS, Used Wordpress/Drupal)
- Media Galleries = Done with Plugins within wordpress (next generation)
- Drupal - Each piece of content is a node. You define relationship
- Simplicity = Wordpress
- Multisite = Different wordpress sol instances on one site!
- Access control = more simple in wordpress! Less granular!
- Drupal --> Scales higher without page breakage!
- Database interface for WP: Access of CRM interaction
- Cforms = easy form builder in WP (Auto emailer)
Wordpress.org most plug-ins there
- WP plugins: Third Party + Free: Suz only paid for one, most are free.
Drupal = Community abusive/egotistical. At an industrial scale they are not wanting to hear from the public. Want to learn - got to meet ups or blogging events
Watchout for unlisted plugins --> Only get plugins from wordpress.org. Some bad ones have malware or have security holes.
- Usability = In Wordpress much easier
- Good intermediate for ppl moving to CMS.
- Salesforce integration or Salsa
- Theming can be reused in other application
- Drupal = main folder and sub folders to store individual site. More nagging about updates.
Updates --- Wordpress vs. Drupal Easy Vs. Harder/ More theme problems!
- Page tree is folder based lay out
- Media mgmt: easier in wordpress
- Wordpress Multisite: more users! Must install theme at top level
Wordpress.com vs. Wordpress.org ---
- Free can't customize vs must host and can customize
- Wordpress.com is free and it's community building creating a group of bloggers.
Speed of repair - Wordpress is quicker Drupal = easy to kludge --> Make a nightmare for maintenance programmers
- New wordpress book from O'reilly
- Wordpress meetups -->Please Attend!