DevSummit07:Co-Op Story Share in Nonprofit Technology Enterprises
Facilitated by Brattleboro Tech Collective, Chicago Technology Cooperative, Electric Embers, Openflows, Sulá Batsú and others
A range of participants from nonprofit and social change technology co-ops will be present at the Summit. This session will employ a story-telling format to share learnings and compare experiences around co-op oriented business models.
Brent: Electric Embers (formerly of TechUnderground) Kevin: TechSoup Larry: Open Flows Jessi: Riseup Collective? Dan: working to support low-income women led co-ops Jim: Chicago Technology Cooperative (no Illinois co-op tax status, filed at Inc) Elijah: Riseup Collective (co-op referrals) Dave, Josh: Brattleboro Tech Collective (lots of changes) Antoine: Koumbit (open business model) Lena: Costa Rica Knowledge Co-op (goverance issues, social enconomy movement) Eric, Colin, Ben: Quilted
- Worker Co-op Forum
- Workplace Democracy, Worker Co-op
- "real" Worker Co-op vs LLC, Inc, etc
- lack of legal/financial knowledge around worker co-op model
- How to do distributed co-op?
- How to start of cooperative?
- bylaws.coop idea
- Worker Co-op Conference?
- Costa Rica Co-ops laws cause difficulty in starting and organizing. Model in Costa Rica designed for different economy.
- Difficulty in US is different rules/laws in each state.
- Vermont Cooperative Law?
- IRS require certain bylaws
- Worker Co-op: seperate goverance (1 member, 1 share, 1 vote.) from ownership.
- Distribution of dividends based on work not ownerships
- Can be free formed based on bylaws
- Salary in Co-op is a share of the income, not really "salary". Owners, not employees.
- can be owner and employee in some cases
- Intellectual Property
- shared ownership or IP or co-op ownership IP
- Non-profit registration vs Co-op registration
- someplaces require critical mass of "owners" (5? Canada, 18 Costa Rica)
- ICA? prototype worker co-op format, by-laws.
- customize by-laws
- find lawyers that support co-ops
- Advocacy Groups for Co-ops can be less expensive than lawyers
- National Society of Accountants for Co-ops
- Knowledge Bases, Federations, Support Groups
- No Boss?
- Participatory Economics
- CWA Locals
- Society for Technical Communicators
- Freelancers Union
- split of new co-ops at certain number of owners
- separate into autonomous committees
- equal sharing of roles vs separting business roles
- equal sharing of profits vs work hours/quality/etc
- health insurance options (society for technical communicators, freelancers union, washtech)
Other Technology Support Co-ops
- GAIA Host Collective
- May 1st
- Chicago Technology Co-op
- Kariva (Colombia)
- design action collective
- baluga in Washington.
- tech co-op in montreal (name?)
- igeric? (maybe Agaric Design Collective)
- twin oaks (was this the income sharing community or a tech group?)
- c4 tech collective
- skyhouse consulting (tech business of income sharing household Skyhouse)