Campaigning and organizing for justice in Texas
Campaigning and organizing for justice in Texas People power and political power - "We fight with two fists!
Josué Guillen https://organizetexas.org
Texas Organizing Project (TOP)
- in year 8 of a 10 year political plan
- "both fists" = political power AND people power
People power reflected in org structure:
- County leadership teams, members qualify for joining those team by doing the work.
- "Work" and roles are clearly defined
- Board consists of members from the county leadership
TOP runs campaigns continuously, talking to the people year-round. Issues like racial justice, education, ___ e.g. racial justice: electing a new district attorney (but holding elected accountable is an ongoing process; sometimes you elect someone who turns out to not be as advertised...)